Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Browned Butter

Now that I've gotten in the habit of photographing some of my daily activities, this is what I was up to last night:

Preparation


Transition

Tasting (just had to try one or five)

The butter for these cookies was first browned in a small enamel pot, which as I learned only works if the butter is heated to a high enough temperature (otherwise it takes forever). Funny thing about browned butter - the 'nutty' smell is weirdly similar to that of crayons. Maybe it's just me though?
The recipe was adapted from this one. I used light brown sugar instead of muscovado, and less of it. I also used regular all-purpose flour instead of bread flour. The chocolate chunks came from a bar of 70% Scharffen Berger, and I loved their uneven effect in the cookies - adding that little element of surprise.  Needless to say, these cookies will disappear quickly.


All images taken by me - Copyright 2012 Cozy City. Please cite if borrowed.

1 comment: