Sunday, January 15, 2012

A new beginning.

Hello! Welcome to my very first blog post. I'm Justyna. 

My story:   I've spent the last decade or so of my life specializing in science (Biomedical Engineering and Neuroimaging), but recently I decided to get serious about pursuing my lifelong love of design. So, I am currently transitioning into the vast exciting world of interior design and architecture. And goodness, is there a lot to see and learn!

My hope in starting this blog is to filter and organize all the wonderful things I come across on my venture, and in so doing to develop my own style and aesthetic. Since I'm a bit of a newb, I'd love any feedback or tips from you, dear reader / fellow blogger. 

Why Cozy City?   I've lived in many cities during my life, mostly within the United States. Currently I'm living and working in the San Francisco Bay Area, which is a very fun place especially for an outdoorsy type like myself. But no matter how many exciting and charming cities I see, I'm always drawn back to my original home:  Krakow, Poland.  Both my memories and ongoing experiences of Krakow continue to be a huge source of inspiration... in fact, I'm planning to spend a lot more time in Krakow in the near future, so it'll definitely be getting more of the spotlight in my future writings. Stay tuned! 

In the meantime, I'll post more generally on the topic of design and things/places that give a cozy and inviting feeling.


To kick things off, here are a few personal favorites, things that I'm irresistibly drawn to:


1. Wooden interiors - there's just something so warm and practical about them.
Image : Muuuz


2. Warm socks - these are my current favorites, from Smartwool. Very comfy and pretty, too (no offense to my other wool socks from REI)
Image : Smartwool



3. Well-lit kitchens - this one is part of the Tasting Table Test Kitchen & Dining Room in NYC. Lovely design job, also tapping into my weakness for wooden accents. And check out those lamps. and floor tiles. Sigh
Image : Tasting Table

4. Baked goods - What can I say, I'm a simple dark-chocolate-cake kind of girl.
Image : La Tartine Gourmande
 
5. A good cappuccino - which means a lot of things, from fresh beans to correct proportions to the perfect microfoamy steamed milk. Leafy pattern = bonus.
Image : my Instagram, username miaoufaitil




6. Scarves!!! It's an addiction.
Photos of me by Paul Dabrowski

7. Yarn - not just as an accessory for humans, but knit around everyday objects. Who doesn't love a little yarn vandalism?
Images left to right: ferm living  /   yarnbombing in Oakland!  / my instagram, miaoufaitil


  

That's all for today. Thanks for checking in and see you again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment